- It’s the first female superhero film in over a decade. The studios didn’t believe a woman could carry a film alone. Boy, were they wrong.
- With Patty Jenkins at the helm, it is the first superhero film directed by a woman.
- Wonder Woman broke records and expectations with an opening weekend of $103.1 million at the domestic box office. That’s higher than Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Thor, Captain America, TheAmazing Spider Man and Batman.
- In a world where 81% of all movie heroes are male, we all went to see Wonder Woman. The audiences were 52% female and 45% male proving that boys need female superheroes too. The theaters were also filled with older women who rarely watch superhero films.
- Patty Jenkins was the first female director to be entrusted with an expensive blockbuster film in 20 years. Mimi Lenders was the first with Deep Impact in 1988. The case has definitely been made for more women to be given the budgets to make amazing films.
- Gal Gadot brought Princess Diana/Wonder Woman to life in spectacular fashion. She also shot the reshoots for the film while 5 months pregnant. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Pregnancy isn’t an illness. Women are fierce and powerful.
- As General Antiope, Robin Wright almost stole the film with the most incredible action sequence seen in a while. She brought her war wounds, wrinkles, wisdom and wickedly sculpted arms to dispel every myth about aging and the marginalization of women over 40. She made us walk out of the theater feeling ferocious.
- Geena Davis said “The more media a girl consumes, the fewer options she thinks she has in life. People can be inspired or limited by what they see.” If this is true, then Wonder Woman has changed a generation of little girls. If you can see it, you can be it. This film helps me to understand the power men receive from always being the central character of powerful stories. It changed me and I know it will change millions of girls coming after me.
Thank you Gal and Patty for bringing this incredible story to the screen but also bringing your incredibly fierce beauty, love and power to it. You made this 46 year old writer cry, cheer and believe.